Thursday, February 12, 2009

First night in Utica

Posted by Britt

Hi, everyone. So here we are in Utica for the Dykes Memorial. Its a pretty large event with 36 teams registered. Its a men's five and under.

We were pretty disappointed that we were the only Nutmeggers that were making the trip. Some of the clubs up here have sevral teams. Schnectady, Utica and Philadelphia all have at least 5 teams here. Next year, I think we need to make a real effort to make folks aware of this event and encourage people to attend. The whole idea of this blog is to do that to some extent, and to give an easy place for people to follow our progress.

Our first draw was this afternoon at 3 PM against our sister club Norfolk. Let me start by saying, these guys were super nice and I really enjoyed playing with them. After three ends we were down 6-2 after they made what I can only call an improbable shot in the third. We had three stones all frozen in a straight line. They tried to outdraw and when their skip came heavy and straight, they decided to cut us down to two by hitting the row. Do not ask me how, I dont really understand it myself, and I was there, but the stone hit nose, somehow transferred handle peeling the front stone off to the right, which sent the second stone left and the transfer of momentum sent the third stone out the back. A triple take out. I could not believe it, it was amazing. the shooter planted and all of a sudden an opportunity for us to steal, became us surrendering three to make it 6-2! Sean brushed off the end and led us to take four with the hammer, tieing the match. From there on out, we were able to control most of the tempo and won the match 10-7

We curl tomorrow at 8:30 AM against a team from the host club Utica. I decided to call it a bit of an early night as the drive took it out of me. If I could complain about anything so far this trip it would only be the drive. Because we had a 3 PM draw and it is a solid 4 hour drive, we left this morning at 8 AM, so I'm going to bed. We have a double tomorrow and I'll try to update more then. -B

1 comment:

  1. Good luck and have fun. That is what the Dykes is all about. I will expect a scouting report on the rocks when you guys get back.

    ReplyDelete